why do we call it the union jack
The idea in creating the club came from Ethel McCaul,
a nurse who was served in field hospitals during the at the start of the 20th century. While officers had the benefit of memberships at the various in London, non-commissioned personnel had no accommodations in the area and used and inns of varying repute. The idea of a club was endorsed by such notables as Major-General and Sir. The initial sum of S60,000 was raised at various galas and functions. Any donor giving S100 could name a room. Sir took the opportunity to endow the "Lady Conan Doyle Room" with his contribution. Members of the royal family attended a The laid the foundation stone of the club in July 1904, and with officially opened the club in July 1907.
The original building was located at 91 and was completed at the end of 1904. During, the club gained a reputation as a refuge for homosexual servicemen to socialise and find intimacy. Despite the rooms being separated by mere, open at the ceiling, guests did not fear being reported to the military police, as the Union Jack Club's staff maintained an unofficial "blind eye" policy. Over the course of the war, the area around was heavily bombed and the club damaged. In 1970, it was decided to demolish the original building and to construct a completely new one. Demolition began in 1971 and building started in 1972. The club's new premises opened on 16 October 1975.
It was formally opened by the Patron-in-Chief, on 12 February 1976. When the Union Jack was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as the British flag or the flag of Britain, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland. The first use of the name Union appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the Union Jack, but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word jack as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position.
For some years it was called just the Jack, or Jack flag, or the King s Jack, but by 1674, while formally referred to as His Majesty s Jack, it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged. In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.
It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag. Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd)
- Views: 2
why does my golf swing go to the right
why does my golf ball go to the right
why does lil wayne call himself tunechi
why does club soda get stains out
why does a golf ball hook or slice
why do you want to work for metricon
why football is the best sport in the world