why do teeth become sensitive after whitening

If you have stains on your teeth or discoloration, one of
the best options to consider is teeth whitening. Professional teeth whitening with a dentist is much more effective than the products that you can get at the local store. In just one professional teeth whitening treatment, your smile can be brightened by several whole shades. This means that the yellowing caused by cigarettes, coffee, tea, red wine, and cola will be greatly minimized. Many people visit Dr. Cortese and Dr. Selway to get advanced whitening and to enhance the overall beauty of their smile. After undergoing teeth whitening treatment, patients sometimes complain of tooth sensitivity and pain. This goes for both professional whitening as well as over-the-counter teeth whitening. Let s look at what causes tooth sensitivity to occur and what can be done to reduce or eliminate it. It may be helpful to just briefly cover the basics of the professional teeth whitening procedure first. During, your teeth will first be thoroughly cleaned. Once this is done, a dental bleaching agent will be applied to your teeth. This bleaching agent will then be exposed to a special light that will activate the special properties of the bleaching agent. The overall procedure shouldn t take longer than an hour. Of course, you experience at-home whitening kits will vary. What causes tooth sensitivity after teeth whitening? One cause of tooth sensitivity may be the bleaching agent getting on the gums and other soft tissues near a tooth. Another cause of tooth sensitivity after teeth whitening are the dentinal tubules. Dentinal tubules are little holes in the dentin layer of the tooth that are linked to the dental pulp within the tooth. This explain how teeth are sensitive to heat and cold. The whitening agents can cause the tubules to become completely exposed (this is a temporary condition, by the way), making teeth hypersensitive.


There are plenty of things that the team at our will do to ensure your experience is as positive as possible. For one, Dr. Cortese and Dr. Selway will take great care to ensure that the bleaching agent will only affect the stained area of the tooth. In addition, we can apply a tooth desensitizer to the teeth after a whitening treatment to reduce any possible tooth sensitivity. After getting a teeth whitening treatment, be sure to avoid foods that are hot or cold for a day or two. Doing so will ensure that you are not susceptible to any undue tooth sensitivity. It s also recommended that you brush your teeth gently and that you rinse with lukewarm water. If you are using an at-home kit, be extra careful and attentive about where the bleaching agent winds up. Also, do not overdo an at-home treatment. This can make you teeth sensitive. If you follow the instructions and still notice sensitivity, reduce the amount of whitening agent or the treatment time. To learn more about teeth whitening and your many other options for a great smile, today. Bleaching molecules penetrate into your teeth increasing blood flow and pressure in the tooth pulp causing mild pulpitis. Although diffusion into your teeth helps amplify whitening effects since chromophore molecules in your tooth dentin can be broken up by hydrogen peroxide, the increased pressure irritates the tooth nerve slightly and makes your teeth more sensitive to stimuli in general. Everyone responds differently and this mild pulpitis can last for about 2 weeks after whitening. Increased tooth porosity and removal of the protective protein layer on the surface of your teeth. We talked about how maintaining the protein pellicle is important in keeping the closed off from the oral environment. For better or worse, all whitening products must strip off this protein layer in order to dissolve surface stains.


This will open up pores in exposed dentin and cause sensitivity. Brush your teeth before whitening not after whitening. Brushing right after whitening will further open pores on exposed dentin and create sensitivity. It can also damage your enamel since some bleaching agents are slightly acidic. Let your teeth recover afterwards. (Optional) Use a Desensitizing Gel to calm your the nerves in your teeth prior to whitening. For the most relief, you should apply the gel to your teeth for 10 to 30 minutes before bleaching using the same bleaching trays you got from your dentist and rinse afterwards. Ideally, the gel should contain both 5% potassium nitrate and fluoride. Your dentist is able to prescribe specifically designed desensitizing gels like UltraEZ, Desensitize! , and Relief, but in a pinch you can also try using in the trays a desensitizing toothpaste that contains 5% potassium nitrate. Using toothpaste instead of the commercial gels may also be a more cost-friendly method. Some ingredients in the toothpaste though might irritate your gums a bit, and if that starts to happen stop and let your dentist know. Whiten as directed. Rinse out your mouth thoroughly after bleaching with water, or better still a. Although bleaching companies try to make products that are pH balanced, many end up being slightly acidic. Getting your oral pH back to normal lets your teeth begin to recover. Use your finger (or q-tip) to gently apply to your teeth one of the we discussed last week. Let the paste set for a few minutes and then spit thoroughly; do not rinse for at least 30 minutes following application. By gently coating your teeth with a product like MI Paste or Colgate s Pro-Argin Toothpaste, you will plug up open pores on your teeth and reduce sensitivity. Additionally, the remineralizing effects of these pastes help to improve whitening.


Do not use higher concentrations of bleaching agents than you need for the whitening results you want. The amount of pulpitis caused by the diffusion of bleaching molecules into your teeth is a function of the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide in the bleaching product, and how much is able to enter the tooth. It is also important to keep in mind when examining bleaching concentrations that carbamide peroxide is about в as strong as hydrogen peroxide. You can opt to use instead of Tray or In-Office bleaching if you don t need additional whitening. Although Tray Bleaching and In-Office Bleaching offer many advantages, they allow more bleaching molecules to enter your teeth. Whitening Strips on the other hand, don t allow many bleaching molecules to enter your teeth because of their design, and this means that you will have less sensitivity. Do not leave in bleaching trays for longer than directed. Modify your diet to limit acids during active whitening periods. If you do a one step in-office whitening this really only applies to the first day or two after whitening, but this is more important if you are in the middle of two weeks of using Crest White Strips. Bleaching therapies of all kinds lift the protein pellicle off your teeth making your teeth more vulnerable to acids during this time. With the pores on exposed dentin already more open to the oral cavity because of bleaching, you don t want acid erosion from foods or drinks to make this worse. Anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen can be helpful for sensitivity if taken prior to whitening, but the effect doesn t last more than a couple hours so you ll have to take more. To work as they should, you should take 600mg of Advil (Ibuprofen) about an hour before bleaching. Consult your doctor before taking any medication.

  • Views: 166

why do whitening strips make teeth sensitive
why do whitening strips hurt my teeth
why do white strips hurt my teeth
why do teeth hurt after whitening strips
why do teeth get sensitive after whitening
why do my teeth hurt after whitening
why do teeth get sensitive after whitening